Hello you amazing readers! I hope you had a very merry Christmas filled with all kinds of wonderful! This entire month has been so fun with all the celebrating, gift giving, shopping, eating, and general merriment - and did I mention crazy busy? I haven't had a chance to finish sewing a single thing until this dress! I had hoped to participate in Green December and Archer Appreciation month, and sew up some Christmas presents (like the Portside Travel set), but time just got away from me - I'm sure you all know how it is when the Christmas crazy takes over :)



Another big part of the past month has been my Dressember campaign! I am raising awareness for International Justice Mission's combat against human trafficking and fight to end sexual slavery. To quote the website, "The heart of Dressember is freedom-- that every woman, man, and child has the right to be free to live a vibrant life." I am 110% supportive of this type of work and the thought of anyone being subjected to sexual slavery or violence just makes my heart drop to my stomach. As a Dressember participant, I have worn a dress every. single. day. of the month of December - if you are following me on Instagram or Twitter, you have probably seen most of them :) I have even raised $100! But friends, I set my goal high - $500!!! - and I need help to reach it! If you could give - any amount - please donate here! It only takes a minute of your time! Thank you so much to those who have already helped out! Let's end this year right! :)


And finally this new dress! For DAY 27! After completing the dress, I decided it needed a little break up of the gray so I added this improvised stretchy black belt! It's literally just a long remnant of black jersey, folded and sewn, then wrapped around my waist, finished with a knot that kind of resembles a bow in the front - works for me! :)


Here are the details:

Pattern: KitschyCoo Lady Skater Dress

Size: 4

My Shape: Tall (6'), pear shape (hips and legs galore!), narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: 2 yards Sweater Knit with Sequin Stripes - Joann's

Size Alterations:

- Cut slightly larger around all seam allowances on bodice
- Added more flare and length (maybe 2-3") to the skirt

Design Changes:

- Lengthened 3/4 sleeve to midway between 3/4 line and full length line - it is perfect! (Finished w/ narrow hem instead of sleeve band - didn't want the extra bulk)

Construction Notes:

- Mostly sewn identically to first version
- Neckband is actually wrong side of fabric - I wanted solid gray, and no sequins against my skin, so I folded the fabric right sides together! Thankfully the wrong side matched pretty well :)




The Verdict: 

A perfect and comfortable holiday dress! Stripes and baby sequins, which I also think resemble notes on a music staff (how perfect!) and my two of my most worn colors! I think this dress will be around quite a long time! :)