Happy Monday, friends! Finally the sun has started to shine here in Chicago-land and I could not be more excited :) Last weekend was my cousin-in-law's wedding shower. The theme was tropical and she loves marine biology, so I decided to whip up a dress with this whale print cotton that has been in my stash since last summer. But these are not just any regular old whales...


They are HAPPY whales! Just look at those adorable little smiles :) When I saw them across the aisle in the "Baby / Nursery" quilting cotton section of Joann's, I had to have them. The print is definitely kitschy, but the colors are great, and so me, that I could only see it as a cute dress!

Now to find a suitable pattern...


I wanted something with a higher boat neck shape, because duh... whales=ocean=boats... and also it really lets the print shine. I didn't have anything in my stash that quite fit the bill, so I went off to Joann's to see what I could find. There were no "Big Four" patterns on sale, so I turned to New Look and found this great little dress pattern 6262.


I don't typically purchase New Look patterns. Partially due to the cost ($3.99 - gasp I know ;) versus on-sale Big 4 patterns ($1 - $2). BUT I made a great discovery - each pattern envelope includes the entire size range! Typically in the Big 4 I never know which size to get b/c my bust is usually in the smaller size and my waist/hip in the larger. And who wants to buy two of every pattern!? Or try to grade on two separate pattern pieces! All that to say, I am quite happy with having all sizes together and I will definitely be browsing the New Look catalog more often :) I mean, just look at this dress, and this one, or this one, which I totally forgot I made last summer...oops!



Here are the details:

Pattern: New Look 6262 - View B, no overlay, with lined bodice

Fabric: Novelty Quilt Print Cotton - Whales on Navy from Joann Fabrics (no longer available)
Lining: Ambiance Bemberg Lining Fabric - Medevial Blue from Joann Fabrics (still available)

Sizing / Fit: 12 bust, 14 waist, 18-ish hips/skirt
*For the skirt, I cut out a larger size, closer to 18, and just gathered to fit the 14 waist


Bodice is lined with bemberg (the best) lining, attached around the neck and understiched, along the zipper, and at the waistline - serged together at armscyes


Something wonky happened in the back with the lining and the back neckline twists. I'm not sure what caused this, but it could have been my hurriedly slapdash method of putting it together the morning of the party ;)


But it's not that noticeable from more than a yard away, so....


Haha... And that's really all I have to say! I totally love the print and colors of this dress. The pattern, New Look 6262, is a great dress pattern with lots of options - I really want to try the V-neck version as well!

And this dress pairs perfectly with my new pink coat from Anthropologie :) Yes I pinned it months ago to sew, but found it on sale and just bought it instead of attempting to sew it myself. It's perfect for these winter to spring months!

Pink.... buttons.... flared.... swirly.... pockets....

Sometimes when it's your dream coat, you just buy instead of make. What do you think? Would you buy a dream garment instead of sew it, if you could find it RTW??? Or am I talking crazy here? ;)


Thanks for reading!!!  Sally